St. Paul, Stoke-super-Mare.
Walton in mediaeval documents was known as Stoke-super-Mare and the village was grouped round the church of St. Paul in the Coombe above Lady Bay. After the 15th century the village disappeared, this was thought by many to be a result of the conflict of the civil war, between the Roundheads and the Cavaliers. Evidence for this was found when the old churchyard was being cleared for re-building a large common grave was discovered containing skeletons all with wounds in their skulls and a large quantity of moulton lead was found at the base of the tower.It is said that when the Roundheads attack the Church the Royalists poured the lead from the tower roof, onto the army below. The Paulett family, holders of the manor were Royalists and the Roundhead army was known to be in the district.
The Church of St. Paul’s was left derelict until 1869 when it was rebuilt as St. Mary’s Clevedon.
18th Century Parish Duties.
The Maintenance of the Church and Religious Services.
The Keeping of the Peace.
The Repression of Vagrancy.
The Relief of Destitution.
The Upkeep of Roads.
The Suppression of Nuisances.
The Destruction of Vermin.
The Provision of Soldiers and Sailors.
The Enforcement of Religious and Moral Discipline.
The Rev. Rawdon Hauterville. M. A. Rector of Walton in Gordano 1866-1880. His work brought about the rebuilding of St. Mary’s Church in Walton in Gordano. He is also mentioned in the School Log Books being the visiting rector.
Portishead Floods, 29th of October 1795.
The tide rose so high as to overflow the sea wall in all parts of this neighbourhood from which circumstance the marsh-lands were laid under water, the roads render`d impassable and the Moor up as far as Walton one expanse of sea. In the village of Portishead the water was about four feet deep at the place called Cross.
RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF TEXT
These transcriptions are owned by the author and are provided free for the personal use of students, scholars and the public.
The transcriptions were created by the author and are subject to international copyright laws. With the sole exception of selected, individual entries for private personal use, copying, redistribution or re-posting of these transcriptions or any part thereof is prohibited without the written consent of the author. Any commercial use or publication of text without permission of the author is strictly prohibited.
1734. Poor remembered in Will.
Capt. John Covant appointed by his last Will two Sermons to be preached yearly in the Parish church of his Birth the other upon the Day of his Death which happened on the 10th of December and ordered ten shillings to be paid for each Sermon and subjected his estate to ye Payment thereof..........Houses in Bristol.
He likewise gave 10 shillings to be distributed upon Easter Day to such poor Parishioners as should then receive ye sacrament and ten shillings upon Whit Sunday to such poor should then receive.
1734 May 24th John Sutton>
1839. Long Ashton.
In January at Ashton Waters near Long Ashton, during the excavation of the ground for the Bristol and Exeter railway, workman found Roman coins, including one of Julius Cæsar. Various other pieces of Roman remains were also found.
1784 April 12th Nailsea Church Wardens Accounts.
It is agreed by us whose names are here unto Sett and Mutually agreed to pay James King two shillings per week to teach and instruct twelve poor children, to Read and Write.
Signed John Evans, Isaac White, Samuel Wedmore, Alexander Coombs, Charles Holder, Joseph Stokes, John Brimble and Paul Hurditch.
1720 Dec 16th. Easton in Gordano.
This day was observed as a Religious Fast for obtaining those heavy judgements which they have most justly observed, and Particularly for beseeching God to preserve us from ye Plague with which several other Countries are at this time visited. E Giles. Minister.