E-Mail: mary.mason@btopenworld.com
E-Mail: mary.mason@portbury-hundred.co.uk
WebPages: www.portbury-hundred.co.uk
These transcriptions are owned by the author and are provided free for the personal use of students, scholars and the public.
The transcriptions were created by the author and are subject to international copyright laws. With the sole exception of selected, individual entries for private personal use, copying, redistribution or re-posting of these transcriptions or any part thereof is prohibited without the written consent of the author. Any commercial use or publication of text without permission of the author is strictly prohibited.
1718 Nov 29.
Edward Biss, Clerk , rector of Portbury and of St. George in the County of Somerset, who had taken the Oaths to his present Majesty, was convicted, at the Assizes at Sailsbury in the County of Wilts, for speaking at Abury, in the County the following words:
“George (meaning his Majesty) has no business here. We have no Laws these thirty years never since the time of King James (meaning the pretender) comes.
He is my Majesty and the rightful King.”
He was also convicted for speaking the same words at Slough in Bucks, also Wells and Portbury in Somerset. For his above mentioned Crime in Portbury Church he was sentenced to stand in the Pillory at Charing Cross for an hour between eleven and two on the 1st of December. For his abovementioned crime in St. George’s Church, he was sentenced to stand in the Pillory at the Royal Exchange an hour between eleven and two on the 2nd of December. For his other four crimes abovementioned he was fined £100 for each one.
Accordingly he stood in the Pillory yesterday at Charing Cross and this day at Royal Exchange.  
1645 Mon Sept 1st.
There came letters from Sir Thomas Fairfax, his Quarters which reply that 2000 Clubman having put themselves under the Command of his Excellency, the set officers over them and with some of his own men sent to them to take in Portishead Point, a Garrison of the Enemies about six miles from Bristol, which is a strong Garrison: and stops the passage of Kings Road, a place to be kept against a great Strength and of such consequence, that it is worth their lying down every since their being before Bristol: and when the Enemy heard that a Party was coming to besiege them, they were much perplexed: divers of them left the Garrison and went home: and when they came before it, they sent from the Fort for a Parley, which was granted, and on Wed. The 27th of August 1645, it was agreed.
1. That within 48 hours they should deliver up the Garrison and Fort of Portishead, Sir Thomas Fairfax for the use and service of Parliament.
2. That they should all take Oath never to take up arms against the Parliament, further, but every man go home to his own dwelling and there remain.
3. That they should have all Quarters for their lives.
4. That they shall leave forthwith all the Ordinance, arms and ammunition: Sir Thomas Fairfax was undemolished or hurt.
All which was accordingly performed on Thurs. The 28th of August, and we took in the Fort 6 pieces of Ordinance, 200 Arms, all their powder, Bullet, Match, Ammunition, and Baggage, and his Excellency hath put into it 400 men, well armed to keep it for Parliament, with a piece of Ordance more, and so hath made Bristol a land town, and the ship that was coming with ammunition to relive Bristol, is this means kept back, and some of our ships are putting out toward her, to do what they can for the taking of her.
Clapton in Gordano.
Clapton takes its name from the Clapton family who owned the Manor from 1140-1615.
1907 Aug 17 Outing.
The employees on Sir Henry Miles, Abbots Leigh estates had their annual outing to Weston-super-Mare, the party travelling by boat. At the lunch the toast of Sir Henry and Lady Miles and family was enthusiastically honoured. Fine weather prevailed and a most enjoyable day was spent.
1890 Nov 10th. Wraxall Football Club.
At a meeting in the club house, which was also attended by members of Nailsea Village club, it was decided to form a football club for Wraxall, Nailsea and Bourton, the game to be played under the following rules of the rugby Union. Mr Roger Ford occupied the chair. The following were elected as a committee; Messrs J Harvey, and a Winstone (Wraxall), Mr E Leonard (Bourton), Mr J Harris (Nailsea) with Mr W Jones (Nailsea) hon. Secretary. It was agreed to name the club “Wraxall and District Football Club” the colours to be red and black, and the first practice was held on Saturday, at Wraxall.
1874 Sep. Portishead Flower Show.
Best kept and cultivated cottages gardens.
1st. Mark Coombs.
2nd. Robert Philips.
3rd. George Patch.
1820 Jan 23rd. Died the Duke of Kent, aged 52.
1820 29th Died the King, aged 82 years.
Measurement of Schoolroom Walton in Gordano in 1877.
Length 36 feet & 3 ins.
Breath 18 feet & 3 ins.
Height 12 feet & 3 ins.
1880 Jan 4th. Weston in Gordano.
Eliza Sulley a 2nd standard girl has burnt her hand very badly and was obliged to stay from school on Thursday and Friday.