Text Box:

                            Mary Mason.B.A.

Text Box: Mary’s flower paintings.

                         Olde News

1820 Jan 23rd .Died the Duke of Kent, aged 52 years

1820 29th . Died the King, aged 83 years.

1645 Mon Sep 1st.

There came letters from Sir Thomas Fairfax, his Quarters which reply that 2000 Clubman having put themselves under the Command of his Excellency, the set officers over them and with some of his own men sent to them to take in Portishead Point, a Garrison of the Enemies about six miles from Bristol, which is a strong Garrison: and stops the passage of Kings Road, a place to be kept against a great Strength and of such consequence, that it is worth their lying down every since their being before Bristol: and when the Enemy heard that a Party was coming to besiege them, they were much perplexed: divers of them left the Garrison and went home: and when they came before it, they sent from the Fort for a Parley, which was granted, and on Wed. The 27th of August 1645, it was agreed.
1. That within 48 hours they should deliver up the Garrison and Fort of Portishead, Sir Thomas Fairfax for the use and service of Parliament.
2. That they should all take Oath never to take up arms against the Parliament, further, but every man go home to his own dwelling and there remain.
3. That they should have all Quarters for their lives.
4. That they shall leave forthwith all the Ordinance, arms and ammunition: Sir Thomas Fairfax was undemolished or hurt.
All which was accordingly performed on Thurs. The 28th of August, and we took in the Fort 6 pieces of Ordinance, 200 Arms, all their powder, Bullet, Match, Ammunition, and Baggage, and his Excellency hath put into it 400 men, well armed to keep it for Parliament, with a piece of Ordance more, and so hath made Bristol a land town, and the ship that was coming with ammunition to relive Bristol, is this means kept back, and some of our ships are putting out toward her, to do what they can for the taking of her.

Edward Biss, Clerk, rector of Portbury and of St. George in the County of Somerset, who had taken the Oaths to his present Majesty, was convicted, at the Assizes at Sailsbury in the County of Wilts, for speaking at Abury, in the County the following words:
“George (meaning his Majesty) has no business here. We have no Laws these thirty years never since the time of King James (meaning the pretender) comes.
He is my Majesty and the rightful King.”
He was also convicted for speaking the same words at Slough in Bucks, also Wells and Portbury in Somerset. For his above mentioned Crime in Portbury Church he was sentenced to stand in the Pillory at Charing Cross for an hour between eleven and two on the 1st of December. For his abovementioned crime in St. George’s Church, he was sentenced to stand in the Pillory at the Royal Exchange an hour between eleven and two on the 2nd of December. For his other four crimes abovementioned he was fined £100 for each one.
Accordingly he stood in the Pillory yesterday at Charing Cross and this day at Royal Exchange.  

E-Mail: mary.mason@btopenworld.com

E-Mail mary.mason@portbury-hundred.co.uk

 

Web Pages: www.portbury-hundred.co.uk

Home: Taunton Somerset England UK.

RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF TEXT
These transcriptions are owned by the author and are provided free for the personal use of students, scholars and the public.
The transcriptions were created by the author and are subject to international copyright laws. With the sole exception of selected, individual entries for private personal use, copying, redistribution or re-posting of these transcriptions or any part thereof is prohibited without the written consent of the author. Any commercial use or publication of text without permission of the author is
strictly prohibited.

1907 Aug 17th Outing.

The employees on Sir Henry Miles, Abbots Leigh estates had their annual outing to Weston-super-Mare, the party travelling by boat. At the lunch the toast of Sir Henry and Lady Miles and family was enthusiastically honoured. Fine weather prevailed and a most enjoyable day was spent.

1890 Nov 10th Wraxall Football Club.

At a meeting in the club house, which was also attended by members of Nailsea Village club, it was decided to form a football club for Wraxall, Nailsea and Bourton, the game to be played under the following rules of the rugby Union. Mr Roger Ford occupied the chair. The following were elected as a committee; Messrs J Harvey, and a Winstone (Wraxall), Mr E Leonard (Bourton), Mr J Harris (Nailsea) with Mr W Jones (Nailsea) hon. Secretary. It was agreed to name the club “Wraxall and District Football Club” the colours to be red and black, and the first practice was held on Saturday, at Wraxall.

1874 Sep. Portishead Flower Show.
Best kept and cultivated cottages gardens

1st. Mark Coombs.
2nd. Robert Philips.
3rd. George Patch.

The Rev. Rawdon Hauterville M. A.

Rector of Walton in Gordano 1866-1880. His work brought about the rebuilding of  St. Mary’s Church in Walton in Gordano. He is also mentioned in the School Log Books being the visiting rector.        

1795 Oct 29th Portishead Floods.

The tide rose so high as to overflow the sea wall in all parts of this neighbourhood from which circumstance the marsh-lands were laid under water, the roads render`d impassable and the Moor up as far as Walton one expanse of sea. In the village of Portishead the water was about four feet deep at the place called Cross.

Walton in mediaeval documents was known as Stoke-super-Mare and the village was grouped round the church of St. Paul in the Coombe above Lady Bay. After the 15th century the village disappeared, this was thought by many to be a result of the conflict of the civil war, between the Roundheads and the Cavaliers. Evidence for this was found when the old churchyard was being cleared for re-building a large common grave was discovered containing skeletons all with wounds in their skulls and a large quantity of moulton lead was found at the base of the tower.It is said that when the Roundheads attack the Church the Royalists poured the lead from the tower roof, onto the army below.  The Paulett family, holders of the manor were Royalists and the Roundhead army was  known to be in the district.
The Church of St. Paul’s was left derelict until 1869 when it was rebuilt as St. Mary’s Clevedon.

1734 Poor remembered in Will.

Capt. John Covant appointed by his last Will two Sermons to be preached yearly in the Parish church of his Birth the other upon the Day of his Death which happened on the 10th of December and ordered ten shillings to be paid for each Sermon and subjected his estate to ye Payment thereof..........Houses in Bristol.
He likewise gave 10 shillings to be distributed upon Easter Day to such poor Parishioners as should then receive ye sacrament and ten shillings upon Whit Sunday to such poor should then receive.
1734 May 24th John Sutton.

1720 Dec 16th Easton in Gordano.

This day was observed as a Religious Fast for obtaining those heavy judgements which they have most justly observed, and Particularly for beseeching God to preserve us from ye Plague with which several other Countries are at this time visited. E Giles. Minister.

1839 Long Ashton.

In January at Ashton Waters near Long Ashton, during the excavation of the ground for the Bristol and Exeter railway, workman found Roman coins, including one of Julius Cæsar. Various other pieces of Roman remains were also found.

1784 April 12th Nailsea Church Wardens Accounts.

It is agreed by us whose names are here unto Sett and Mutually agreed to pay James King two shillings per week to teach and instruct twelve poor children, to Read and Write.
Signed John Evans, Isaac White, Samuel Wedmore, Alexander Coombs, Charles Holder, Joseph Stokes, John Brimble and Paul Hurditch